I was in the mood for baking today and thought I’d try Glazed Lemon Pound Cake for the first time. My taste-tester said it’s good!
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used 1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350° F. Generously grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Beat in lemon peel. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and milk until smooth. Pour batter evenly into pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart aluminum sauce pan, mix glaze ingredients. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts.
- Place serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. With long-tined fork or skewer, prick top and side of the cake. Brush warm glaze over the cake generously. Cool completely.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts!” ~ James Beard