I have never heard of ketogenic diet before so imagine my reaction when Tashi told me he wanted to try it. Thank goodness, information was just a click away so I was able to research about it and plan for Tashi’s low carb high fat meals for the coming week. The first dish I ended up fixing was zucchini lasagna with turkey meat sauce and I was glad it turned out good.
- 2 large zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- basil, finely chopped
- parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 15 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a deep 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Pat dry using paper towel.
- To prepare the meat sauce, cook and stir ground turkey in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add in garlic, onion, bell pepper, and pepper flakes; cook and stir until meat is brown. Stir in tomato sauce, marinara sauce, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, Parmesan, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, 1 cup of the spinach, then 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, spinach, and mozzarella. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: I noticed that the lasagna was a bit watery. Upon further research, I learned that this can be avoided by grilling/roasting the zucchini first. I will do this the next time I prepare this dish.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
People who love to eat are always the best people. – Julia Child
One thought on “Zucchini Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce”