Is there really a connection between health and happiness? Is it really hard to be happy when you feel unhealthy? From my own personal experience, being told you are unhealthy can definitely make you feel unhappy. Instantly! Imagine my horror when after a blood test, I was told that my cholesterol level was high. How on earth did that happen? Thanks to the incompetent doctor who tested my blood without asking me to fast for at least 10 hours for more accurate diagnosis! Anyway, that’s all behind me now. I already deleted that doctor’s name from my contact list and hope that our paths don’t cross again.
I’ve been noticing lately that most people have gotten more health-conscious. Tashi and I are no exception to that. In fact I bought my first masticating juicer last month and have been juicing since then. Also, most of the people I know say that they now watch what they eat and a few have totally stopped eating meat, especially pork! So today, I decided to share with you all this newsletter article that my father in-law gave me a couple of years ago.
10 ATTITUDES FOR HEALTH AND HAPPINESS
1. Work hard, be nice and play hard too. I have found that if I don’t make time to play, I have a more difficult time working hard and being nice on a consistent day-to-day basis.
2. Have a short memory for unpleasant times and past grudges. Take what life throws at you and do your best – it’s really all you can do.
3. Everyone has issues . Figure out what your problem areas are and address them. It’s never too late to make a change for the better. Turn your weaknesses into strengths by focusing on improving them.
4. There are no short cuts in life. Health, happiness and success do not happen by accident. The harder you work, the luckier you will be.
5. Be grateful for all the wonderful aspects of your life; try not to dwell on what you don’t have. Never feel sorry for yourself; it’s a waste of time and energy. Self-pity will take you down. It is up to you to create your own happiness.
6. Knowledge is power, especially with respect to your health and well-being. Be vigilant about your health issues.
7. We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Nothing rejuvenates your mind and body like exuberant play. Make it a priority to do something physical that feels like fun everyday.
8. Never consider yourself too old to do things you enjoyed in your younger years. When you resign yourself to this defeatist attitude, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. You are only as old as you think you are. Think younger and you will look, feel and act younger.
9. Try to spend more time with the people who make you happy and make you laugh, and those who are curious, open-minded and adventurous. Avoid hanging around depressed, rude, pessimistic and mean-spirited people. Attitudes and behaviors are contagious – get exposed to upbeat individuals so you can catch their enthusiasm, and try to avoid being over-exposed to people with toxic outlooks on life.
10. Have compassion for the less fortunate in the world. This will remind you that everyone has his or her own problems and struggles and can inspire you to overcome the hurdles in your own life.
There you have it! I hope we all aim to be healthy and happy today and everyday! Above all, God gave us our bodies and as a way of thanking Him let us all take care of ourselves.
“The great Western disease is, ‘I’ll be happy when… When I get the money. When I get a BMW. When I get this job.’ Well, the reality is, you never get to when. The only way to find happiness is to understand that happiness is not out there. It’s in here. And happiness is not next week. It’s now.” — Marshall Goldsmith
Article was written by James H. O’Keefe, M.D for the Cardiovascular Consultants’ From the Heart Newsletter
Image Credit: Jimna Palarao and Kids
12 thoughts on “Ten Attitudes for Health and Happiness”
For me health and happiness go hand in hand because how can you be happy if you’re not healthy enough to live life.
I agree. As I mentioned above, I was totally speechless when I was told that my cholesterol level was very high. I was depressed. It was a relief to know that it wasn’t that bad but it got me started into watching the food I eat.
Thanks for dropping by!
Health Is Wealth And Be Happy Everyday….:)
Health is the precious gift of God..
nice one, chatty! in all things we do, consult God. He will be happy to direct your path, light your feet, protect you, nourish you, enlighten you, give you courage, make your heart melodious, guide you, be with you till the ends of the earth! what a friend! what a companion! what a God!
we all should always be health concious,If health is good then you’ll always be happy.
I workout to be healthier, not to be skinny. and I have to agree with you that we must take care of our body to show our gratitude to the Lord above 🙂
God is an Awesome God. He gave us everything…We thank you God with all our hearts.
good tips. yeah, lots of doctors and other professionals in infiltrated with corruption that they lie and use others to make more money, including unnecessary operations, medication, and surgeries, and often creating more harm than good. many corporations are corrupt as well, because food contain all kinds of toxins, contamination, gmos, etc to intentionally harm others, and all in the name of Zionism, to control everyone. the earth and many animals, are also intentionally be destroyed, all in the name of Zionism, for corporate profit. it is a sick world, and we all need to work together in order to make a difference for everyone.
I agree that happens, Fifi!
Thanks for the tip, i don’t think myself of old but it shows in my body,lol. I hope I stay young and healthy.
Health and Happiness are best combination!