Tonight’s dinner is perfect for this chilly weather. It’s very easy to prepare and took me less than an hour to fix. Exactly the reason why I bought my Instant Pot (Ultra). I had my Instant Pot last year and it had made it possible for Tashi and I to still enjoy home-cooked meals despite our usually busy daily schedules. I have only been preparing soups since I bought it. Hopefully I can start making yogurt and baking cake in it soon!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can tomatoes & chilies (I used Red Gold brand of petite diced tomatoes and chilies)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 oz cream cheese (I used Raskas brand)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Options for Toppings:
- sour cream or avocado (Tashi and I opted for sliced avocado)
- thinly sliced jalapeno
Set the Instant Pot to sauté and allow to heat. Add butter, onion, garlic, and taco seasoning. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
Add in the chicken and broth to the pot. Put the lid on and cook on manual/pressure cook setting for 12 minutes. Make sure the valve is turned to “sealing.” At the end of 12 minutes, release the vent valve. (For this recipe, I let the Instant Pot release naturally).
- Remove the chicken and shred. Add the diced bell pepper, canned tomatoes and chilies, cream cheese and heavy cream to the soup and stir until creamy. Note: You have the option to add the bell pepper and canned tomatoes and chilies on step 1. I just don’t like the pepper and tomatoes to be too mushy so I prefer to add them on the last step.
- Add back the shredded chicken and cook on manual/pressure cook setting for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings.
“Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite.” – Auguste Escoffier